Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Googling

Okay, I'll admit it: I'm addicted. I am officially a Googlaholic. I am a Google addict. I just found myself staring at my computer screen with the Google search page up, twiddling my thumbs and saying, "okay, what should I Google?" and I was dead serious about it, too. I had no reason to Google anything, other than to float my boat.

So it made me think. What is it about Googling that is so addictive? You pull up an almost entirely blank page. You put in a word or phrase, any one you can think of, and you hit that boring ol' grey button to do a Google search.

And then, the world opens up in front of you.

It doesn't matter what you are looking for, or not looking for, you will find it. Somewhere, somehow. You may end up finding it in arabic, but it's there. 466,000 search results for "black llama". Can you believe it? Obviously, yellow llamas are much less exciting as a Google search for that comes up with only 107,000. And don't even try to be as vague as just Googling llama because there's no way you'll ever be able to sift through 5,140,000 results.

And notice, this noun has turned into an action verb simply by virtue of its popularity. It used to be that you "did a Yahoo search" for llama, or a "Google search". Now, you Googled llama. The other day my husband asked me to Google our state house representative to get some information about it. Gotta love it. No wonder this search giant was the first company to successfully launch its IPO with a dutch auction. Even working in the investment banking industry, it's a suprise to me that it worked out successfully.

So, I gotta go. Gotta go Google.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home