Monday, July 30, 2007

Birthdays, Milestones, and Motherhood Hell

So this weekend is Deborah's 3rd birthday party. She doesn't actually turn 3 until the following Tuesday, but the celebration is Saturday, of course. She is very excited about her party, and about her birthday. Me - well, I'm not so excited. I am dreading the party. The reason? The toddler bed.

As her birthday present from us, we are replacing her crib with a toddler bed. And this whole concept makes me SHUDDER. And the reason is pure selfishness. That kid goes to bed like a DREAM. I mean it - a DREAM. 8:00 rolls around, and we ask her if she's ready for bed. 99% of the time, her answer is yes. And SPONGEBOB! She must have SPONGEBOB at all costs! Thanks forever to my father-in-law who decided to buy her a TV for her bedroom for her birthday LAST year... and it's a Spongebob TV. Really. Seriously. Shaped and yellow like Spongebob. And how must she fall asleep each night? With a Spongebob DVD. LOL Or, sometimes, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, or, occasionally, Cinderella. And if we had any Dora DVDs, you can guess that she would be wired and wide-eyed with glee at 3am watching the episode of Dora repeat over and over and over again. And yes, call me a horrible mom. But she's usually out by 10 or so... sometimes 10:30. And she's never any trouble. I mean, who can beat that? The twins - well, they watch TV for bedtime, too, but that doesn't stop them from getting out of bed 50 times each night because they need water, or another movie, or hugs & kisses, or another story, or... and THAT is why I SHUDDER at the thought of the toddler bed.

I'm afraid the toddler bed is a curse in my house. I LOVE that Deborah can't get out. I LOVE that she doesn't WANT to get out of her crib. She's my bedtime angel... and she sleeps until 9am if we're quiet enough or if we don't have to get her up for daycare... and my worst fear is that she starts with the same horrible bedtime habits that the twins have.

Please, please, please. Goddess of Motherhood, Father Time, and Mr. Sandman: please don't jinx me.

We're surprising her by setting her new bed up while she is otherwise occupied at her party. So wish me luck, everyone... Saturday night could either be the end of my fear and stress, or it could be the beginning of a whole new motherhood hell...

In the meantime, join me for a toast. To birthdays. To the end of my baby's babyhood. To the beginning of the rest of her life.

Happy third birthday, Baby. Mommy loves you!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home